Killing Me Softly with His Song, was composed by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbal with Lori Lieberman first recording the classic song in 1971. Since then it’s been covered many times. I present to you the 5 best and worst versions.
1. Roberta Flack – she put the song on the map, great voice, soulful, beautiful.
2. Perry Como – that’s right, Perry’s version is unique. Thanks P-dawg!
3. Luther Vandross – I almost put this on the worst list but Luther went for it and actually sang the feminine version, which takes balls. RIP Luther.
4. Emad Hamdy – who says you have to sing? Emad didn’t and he nailed it. Plus he has killer sideburns.
5. Dee Dee Bridgewater – similar to Roberta’s but different. Do you think her real name is simply Dee but one of her parents had a stuttering problem?
1. Fugees – Lauren Hill has a great voice and alone she would’ve made the best list, however Wyclef Jean was a member of the Fugees and he ruined it. In fact I hear that’s the reason Wyclef got shot in the hand.
2. Engelbert Humperdinck – we at WDCSD appreciate Engelbert’s talent just not this time.
3. Cleo Laine – umm, no.
4. Anne Murray – the great Canadian singer doesn’t quite interpret the song correctly.
5. Electric Coconut – the Moog Synthesizer didn’t work and put against this weird Japanese flick called Zero Woman it's something that would make a car salesmen’s acid trip turn bad in a hurry.
Note: I’m sure the great Mel Torme covered it but I couldn’t find a video.